Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Hotel Furniture Liquidator Nightstands

After traveling in our RV for a year, we recently moved into a condo.  We had put most of our major furniture pieces into a storage unit, but needed some new nightstands.  I had a certain "look" in mind to match my beach-y themed bedroom.  Naturally, I couldn't find what I wanted at a reasonable price, so took it upon myself to make them.

There is a hotel furniture liquidator warehouse here in Dayton, Ohio.  If you have one near you, they are a tremendously affordable resource for basic furniture pieces like tv stands, chairs, desks, nightstands. lamps, etc.

hotel liquidator store
you have to look carefully, but some pieces are like new, others, not so much





I found these two nightstands - for only $20 each:


I wanted them to be blue and white, so I took the handles and drawer fronts off, and then sanded everything, first with 220 grit sandpaper, then with 320:

Remove the drawer fronts
Then sand and wipe clean

Using Valspar spray paint in white, I gave both nightstands three coats of paint.

I taped off the tops and gave them three coats of paint.

And painted the drawer fronts blue:

The gold handles I painted white, with the same Valspar paint.  What is nice is that spray paint now a days have multiple uses and the same paint + primer can be used on wood or metal.

The tops of the nightstands had a pretty wood-like veneer that Noel liked, so I left the tops the way they were, figuring if I didn't like it I could always go back and change it, but I like the way they look.  Here is the finished product:






The lamps were originally heavy brass lamps I got for $2.50 each at a garage sale.  I re-finished those as well with the same blue paint- with the shades purchased at the hotel liquidators as well for $2.47 each.  I'll post that project in a future post!

No comments:

Post a Comment